In this course, the presenter will provide practical education and knowledge about working with Transgender and Gender Expansive adults, focusing on the role of medical providers working with this population to provide gender affirming medical treatment.
Participants in this course will be able to:
- Discuss the physical effects of gender affirming hormone treatment.
- Describe the risks and benefits of estrogen and testosterone.
- Discuss the informed consent shared with patients when these medications are prescribed.
- Identify the steps needed to appropriately refer a patient for gender affirming medical treatment, to include hormones and/ or surgery.
Some knowledge of gender affirming language and of transgender and gender expansive individuals is required. Prior to this course, you may enroll in the CCSME online course: Trans and Gender Expansive Adults – Foundations for Behavioral Healthcare and Medical Treatment (1 contact hour).
CCSME also offers a 1.5 hour online course focused on behavioral health providers for transgender adults: Transgender and Gender Expansive Adults: Health Disparities and Support.
How it Works
After watching a video presentation by Sara J. Hayes, FNP, you will be required to take a short quiz. Upon receiving a grade of 80% or higher, you will be directed to a course evaluation. Once you have completed the evaluation, you will be able to download a .pdf certificate to get your course credit.
- Video Presentation (1 hour)
- Exit quiz requiring a score of at least 80% to earn contact hours
- Evaluation of the training
About the Presenter
Sara J. Hayes, FNP (Pronouns: she, her, hers) Sara Hayes is a family nurse practitioner who has been working in various family planning clinics in Maine for over forty years. Her motto (that she is pretty sure she coined) is “there is a fine line between a rut and a groove.” She generally feels like she is still in her groove. Read more
Certificates will be issued upon completion of an online course evaluation.
No partial credit will be given.
1 CONTACT HOUR for social workers, licensed professional clinical counselors, psychologists, continuing health education specialists, and behavioral healthcare workers.
1 CONTACT HOUR approved by the Maine Board of Alcohol and Drug Counselors
1 CONTACT HOUR for Nurses
1 CONTACT HOUR for Continuing Health Education Specialists
- CCSME is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Northeast Multistate Division Education Unit, an accredited approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
- Learning Outcome As a result of this learning activity, learners will gain knowledge about transgender-related health issues to provide culturally sensitive healthcare.
- Requirements to Receive Contact Hour View video, complete a post-test with a score of 80% or higher, submit evaluation
- This educational activity does not include any content that relates to the products and/or services of an Ineligible company with whom there is a financial relationship.
- There is no commercial support being received for this event.
- Origination Date: October 7, 2022 Expiration Date: March 11, 2023